Should you insure your belongings?

Blogs 04 Jan 2023 / 2 mins read

By Owen Redman

View74 0

Should you insure your belongings?

Should you insure your belongings when you move into university?

The simple answer is yes – if you can afford it.

Insurance isn’t cheap, and if you’re already working on a tight budget adding in an extra bill can feel like too much of a squeeze.

However, if you can afford it, it could save you later down the line and give you peace of mind. 

When you move out of halls and into a student house, your belongings such as tablets, phones, and laptops are not insured, and therefore if they were to break, get damaged, or stolen, there would be no way to recoup the costs of a replacement.

For a large majority of university students, especially in recent times, most of your university work will be saved on these devices, so insurance could be an extra cost that is worth every penny.

Two types of insurance could be suitable for you: 


If you’re going to be living full-time in your student house, you can list your devices under a contents insurance plan.

This way, you could claim for them if they were to break into your home.

Personal items cover:

This is probably the better option of the two if you’re always on the move, for example, between lectures.

Individually insuring each device under one plan can also work out as a more cost-effective option as you can pick and choose the level of cover and which devices.


Either of these two options would be suitable for you and protecting your belongings – if nothing else, adding insurance will give you peace of mind.


Posted by Owen Redman

Co-founder of Roome

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Similar Blogs