What should you bring to your student housing?
So you’ve completed your year in halls and are now moving into a new place with your friends, but what do you need to bring?
It’s always a bit of a kerfuffle when you end up with six toasters, four kettles, and the odd slow cooker.
We’ve pulled together a brief list of what you should and shouldn’t need as essentials when moving in; everything else can be figured out as a group as you go.
- Duvet, Pillow, and Linen
- Mattress Protector
- Tech – Laptops, Consoles, TV
- Your clothes
- Laundry Basket
- Cutlery – Check with your roommate about storage, though. Do you want six drawers filled with knives and forks?
- Crockery – Check with your roommates again. There will be space. It just depends on if you want to share.
- Desk – This is normally provided. Make sure to double-check.
- Dustpan & Brush
Negotiate: By this, we mean pop it in the group chat. No one needs 60 toilet rolls and four bottles of surface spray.
- Toilet Roll
- Cleaning Supplies
- Kitchen Utensils – Colanders, jugs, teatowels, saucepans.
You’re working with limited space, so anything that isn’t for your room will be in a communal area, and you don’t want to fill it too much.
Posted by Owen Redman
Co-founder of Roome